I can already hear the creak of the step stool hinge unfolding the second I tell my 4-year old daughter that I’m about to bake something that involves sprinkles. That’s her cue to drop what she’s doing and get herself propped up next to me at the kitchen island to get involved in the action.
This weekend Heart-Shaped Whoopie Pies were on the menu. We had so much fun with the Bunny Whoopie Pies we made last year at Easter that I was eager to try some for Valentine’s Day. If you’ve never tasted a whoopie pie, these pillowy cakes with marshmallow frosting sandwiched in between are a real treat. Once again, we turned to a Wilton pan (included in today’s giveaway!) to create the fun shape. We decorated them simply with Valentine’s sprinkles around the edges but you can also get really creative and pipe words and other designs on top (like these from Baking Bites).
Ready to bake some fun Valentine’s treats of your own? Wilton is sponsoring a fabulous giveaway for us today: a Valentine’s Day Baking Prize Pack, valued at $50, including the heart-shaped whoopie pie pan plus Valentine’s Day cookie cutters, a pie press, sprinkles and more. Read on for how to enter the giveaway plus the Heart-Shaped Whoopie Pies recipe! [THE GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED]
Win a Valentine’s Day Baking Prize Pack from Wilton, including:
- Wilton Heart-Shaped Whoopie Pie Pan
- Micro Hearts Sprinkles
- Jumbo Hearts Sprinkles
- You Bake Me Smile Window Bag
- Text Message Icing Decs
- Heart Shaped Mini Pie Press
- Hearts a Flutter Cookie Cutter Set
- You Bake Me Smile Combo Cupcake (baking cups & picks)
- Valentine’s Nonpareils
Here are five ways to enter, you can do any or all of them (please leave separate comments for each entry): [THE GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED]
- Leave a comment at the very end of this post telling us what Valentine’s Day treat(s) you’re hoping to make this year.
- “Like” Cooking On the Side on Facebook
- Subscribe to free updates from Cooking On the Side via e-mail or RSS
- Follow me on Pinterest
- Follow me @kathystrahs on Twitter
The giveaway will close on Wednesday, February 8 at noon PST. I will use random.org to select one winner and I will announce the winner in this post. I will contact the winner via e-mail – if I don’t receive a response within 5 days I will draw another name. My apologies to international readers, the prize can only be shipped to U.S. addresses.
** UPDATE 2/8/12: Congratulations to our winner, #69 Kathryn! **
Heart-Shaped Whoopie Pies
From the back of the Wilton Whoopie Pie Pan package
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour (plus cooling time)
Yield: 12 whoopie pies (24 cakes total)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
Whoopie Pie Filling:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow crème
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Whoopie Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the whoopie pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until it’s light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on low speed. When the dry ingredients are almost incorporated, stop the mixer and add the buttermilk. Continue to mix on low speed until all ingredients are almost incorporated. Stop the mixer and add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix on low until just combined. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into each cavity; spread the batter to the edges (I got more even tops when I smoothed them with a rubber spatula). The cavity should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched. Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 8 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before filling. To assemble the pies spread filling on one cake and sandwich with another cake.
For the Whoopie Pie Filling:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until it’s creamy. Add the sugar and salt to the butter, mix well. Add the marshmallow creme and vanilla; blend well. Use immediately to fill the whoopie pies or refrigerate covered up to 1 week. Bring back to room temperature and lightly beat before using.
Many thanks to Wilton for sponsoring today’s giveaway.