Exhibit #5978b on why I’ve lived in suburbia for too long: I found it more than a little bit exciting that they recently redid our Target. New carts! Fresh groceries! (and the pièce de résistance) In-store Starbucks!
I pushed our cart up and down each aisle of the grocery section (which is a financially dangerous thing to do at Target) just to see what all they have now, hoping to find some potentially interesting on-the-package recipes to share here on this blog. I brought the cart to an abrupt halt when I saw Giada De Laurentiis‘ new line of pasta for Target. Hello, recipes!
Giada’s spaghetti was the first box I picked up and on the back was the recipe for Lemon Spaghetti that I’m sharing today. Spaghetti tossed in a light sauce of lemon, olive oil, parmigiano-reggiano and basil is absolutely as fresh-tasting as it sounds. The flavors really scream spring and summer lunch, but I love lemon so much that I wouldn’t dream of waiting till then to eat this. It is such a quintessential Giada recipe, with the bright flavors and simple ingredients. The whole family loved it!
From the back of the Giada De Laurentiis for Target Spaghetti box.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper to blend. Set the lemon sauce aside. (Sauce can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using).
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add spaghetti to the lemon sauce; toss with basil and lemon zest. Toss pasta with enough reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, to moisten. Season with salt and pepper to taste.