“The Perfect Bird” – Saveur
Chestnut Stuffing (recipe at the end of this post)
Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots ~ Food & Wine
Cranberry Sauce ~ Cooking On the Side
Yeast Rolls (soon to be posted on Cooking On the Side)
French Apple Pie ~ Cooking On the Side
Looks like I’ve got a busy few days ahead (and you know I’ll be loving every minute of it). Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Adapted slightly from the Classic Chestnut Stuffing Recipe on the back of the Melissa’s Whole Natural Chestnuts package
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hr 15 minutes
Yield: 10 cups
- 6 cups dried white or French bread, torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh savory, minced
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 13 oz. whole roasted chestnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups turkey or chicken broth (if preparing as a side dish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook onions, celery, sage, thyme, rosemary and savory in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until vegetables are softened.
- Add the chestnuts and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the mixture to the bread pieces, tossing well. Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste, and let the stuffing cool completely (if you’re using it to stuff a bird).
- If preparing as a side dish only, mix in 1 cup of turkey or chicken broth along with the bread pieces. Transfer to a lightly buttered dish and pour another 1/2 cup of broth over the top. Bake, covered in foil, for 30 minutes at 350°F. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes until the stuffing is golden.
NOTE: Stuffing may be made one day in advance, covered and chilled. Place the stuffing inside the bird immediately before roasting. Never allow warm stuffing to sit inside a cold bird for more than a few minutes. Makes enough to stuff a 12- to 14-pound turkey with extra to bake on the side.
See the Recipe Index for all the recipes on Cooking On the Side.