Just a short and sweet note to say Happy 4th of July (and, to my friends to the north, a belated Happy Canada Day!)! To help you celebrate, here’s a fabulous recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting.
These cupcakes, from the back of the Hershey’s cocoa powder box, come together almost magically. Wait till you see how thin the batter is – seriously, like a Yoo-Hoo. I found it almost impossible to believe that it would ever set up. But it did. Somehow that super-runny batter transformed into super-light and moist chocolate cake!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting
From the Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake recipe on the back of the Hershey’s Cocoa box
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 25 min | Total time: 40 min (plus cooling and frosting)
Yield: 30 cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting (see the recipe I used on Annie’s Eats)
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line 2-1/2″ muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixer bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill muffin cups 2/3 with batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool; frost.