There was a recipe card inside the box for this salad, although it was sized for individual servings. For my potluck, I just served it in a large salad bowl, doubled up on the lettuce and adjusted the pear, blue cheese (I used a Stilton) and toasted nut quantities according to my taste. I’ve had many salads like this before, but the perfect pears made this one extra delicious. I did make a special trip to my local olive oil store for the nice champagne vinegar and walnut oil that the dressing recipe calls for (the aromas of that walnut oil were incredible!), but I think it would also be very delicious with white wine vinegar and regular extra virgin olive oil.
From the Royal Riviera Pears Rogue Valley Salad recipe card inserted with Harry and David’s Royal Riviera Pears
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 0 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup walnut oil
- 1 head butter or other lettuce, washed and dried
- 2 ripe pears, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup blue cheese
- 2/3 cup candied nuts or toasted walnuts
- Whisk together the first five dressing ingredients. Gradually whisk in the walnut oil.
- Gently tear the lettuce into bite sized pieces. Arrange on four chilled plates. Place fans of pear slices on lettuce. Crumble blue cheese evenly on top. Drizzle the dressing generously over the salad. Sprinkle with nuts and serve at once.
See the Recipe Index for all the recipes on Cooking On the Side.